We are entering a new era of Google Search. Most of the changes are happening quietly, but it’s important to be aware of what the future looks like. Queries will always be a useful way to find information online, but there are changes coming that will affect the way we look at SEO. Let’s explore how the technological landscape is changing and what we have to look forward to in terms of Google Search and SEO.
Google Discover is the new Google Feed. It was introduced in 2016, so it isn’t completely new, but it was added to the Google homepage only recently. The rebranding of Discover has made it easier to explore the things you are interested in.
Here are some of the new features that were added late last year:
- Evergreen content that is new to you, not just the latest content
- Topic headers to categorize content
- More images and videos
- A toggle that tells Google what type of content you like
- Options to customize what you see
- Multiple languages
Google Assistant was introduced to Android devices in 2017 to replace Google Now. Assistant can do a lot of things from the command of your voice, including search the web, schedule events and alarms and show Google account info.
What sets Assistant way ahead of Google Now is its ability to engage in two-way conversations. Without picking up your phone and typing a query, you can ask Google to find you the information. With its convenience and growing reliability, we can expect that people will rely more on Assistant and less on Google search results.
Google’s 20th Anniversary
Google celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2018 and stated that it was closing one chapter and opening another. The same principles will continue to be important (e.g., putting the user first, sharing relevant information), but new concepts will be introduced as well. For example:
- Google is adding new features to help users “pick up where they left off” rather than having to start the journey over
- Google plans on surfacing relevant information related to the user’s interests, even if they have no specific query
- Google is introducing new visual capabilities, including featured videos and AMP stories
We are entering a new chapter of search. Continue creating stellar content for your audience, be genuine on social media and be prepared to embrace new changes. This will help you stay ahead of the game and ready for a new era.