Search engines provide users with the most relevant results for their search queries. To have your website listed in the top results, you need a smart SEO strategy that is built around the words and phrases your audience uses. Understanding the intent behind these keyword searches is also crucial when building a successful SEO campaign.
Let’s explore the different types of queries and why it’s important to identify user intent.
Three Main Types of Search Queries
At first glance, search engine marketing through paid methods is simple and straightforward. If you’re an electrician and someone searches for “electrician” and your town’s name, they should have a pretty easy time finding you. What makes things complicated is that you probably aren’t the only electrician in town.
Commercial terms are hard to rank for, which forces marketers to dig deeper and understand the intent behind the keyword searches. The first step is to understand what type of query the user is making.
- Navigational search queries. A navigational query happens when a person types the name of a website into the search box, with the intent of going directly to the site. Navigational searches provide high-value traffic and are an opportunity to get listed with other businesses.
- Informational search queries. Information searches are usually done by top-of-the-funnel prospects that are looking for more information. Identify queries that relate to your products and services and develop content around these common questions. The purpose is to get in front of your competitors and provide shoppers with relevant, helpful content.
- Transactional search queries. Transactional search queries relate to the action that you want people to take. Do you want them to sign up for a trial of your service? Do you want to increase the number of newsletter signups? Keywords for transaction queries are commercial and high-value because they help users complete a goal.
Benefits of Understanding Intent
It takes time to understand user intent, but it’s worth it. Here are a few of the ways recognizing intent can help your brand.
- Know what your audience is looking for
- Discover new ideas for keywords
- Get clearer demographics
- Create better landing pages
- Develop stronger content strategies
- Improve the user experience
How to Identify User Intent
The best way to identify user intent is by using Google. For example, identify your best keywords. Search for these keywords and check the top five results to see what types of content is ranked. Google optimizes its results based on intent (and other factors), so this will give you a good idea of what content is most helpful for your audience.
Bottom line: To be most competitive in your SEO strategy, you must understand how your audience is using these keywords. For help on maximizing your SEO campaigns with the right keywords, call Magna Technology today.