If you’re an artist, designer, photographer or something else of this sort, an online portfolio will do your brand justice. Rather than fleshing out an entire website, an online portfolio allows you to showcase your best work so that you can impress prospects and grow your client base.
Let’s learn more about what an online portfolio website is, how it can benefit your brand and the best ways to get started.
What is an Online Portfolio Website? What are the Benefits?
An online portfolio is a type of digital portfolio that shows off your best projects. You can also include the services you offer, share personal information about your brand and offer an online store.
The benefits to having an online portfolio are:
- Highlight your best work
- Boost your online presence
- Have a place to direct prospective clients
- Maintain an active business card
- Show off your brand personality
- Establish and strengthen your brand
How to Build an Online Portfolio
You have a couple of options when it comes to building an online portfolio website. First, you can build one yourself using a website builder like WordPress. If you need something fast and have a limited budget, this is a great option. You don’t need to have a background in coding, though you should be comfortable working on a web building template.
Your other option is to hire a professional web developer to build an online portfolio for you. While this is the more expensive option, it also saves you from having to do it yourself. You can use this time to focus on expanding your business. And, because you’ll have a professional building your site, you can handpick the elements you want and ensure it’s done correctly.
What to Include in Your Online Portfolio
As you gather the information for your website, here are some elements we recommend including:
- Who are you? Include an introduction about yourself, why you work in this field and what separates you from others. You can also include your resume, professional certifications and a professional headshot. This information can go on the About Me page.
- Your best work. Pick your best work to feature in your portfolio. Include a good mix of projects so that you can show prospective clients your experience. If you choose to build your own site, choose a template that makes it easy to upload your work.
- Contact page. Give people a variety of ways to get in touch with you – links to your social accounts, a contact form, a map and more. Many freelancers also offer free estimates, quotes and consultations to drive interest.
One last tip is to plan to update your portfolio often – usually every three months. This ensures the work you’re sharing is relevant, up to date and ever-changing. You just never know who’s studying your work and considering you for their next project!
To discuss your needs for an online portfolio website, contact Magna Technology today.